Forensic odontology (Forensic dentistry) is the application of dental knowledge to those criminal and civil laws that are enforced by police agencies in a criminal justice system. Forensic dentists are involved in assisting investigative agencies to identify recovered human remains in addition to the identification of whole or fragmented bodies; forensic dentists may also be asked to assist in determining age, race, occupation, previous dental history and socioeconomic status of unidentified human beings. Forensic odontologists are involved in:
• identification of unknown human remains
• identification of deceased individuals following mass disasters
• examination and assessment of bite mark injuries
• examination and assessment of facial injuries following assault or trauma
• age assessment of both living and deceased persons
• examination and assessment of child abuse injuries
• civil cases involving malpractice and fraud allegations.