Dentists work as independent practitioners (i.e. without supervision) and may practice all parts of dentistry. They provide assessment, diagnosis, treatment, management and preventive services to patients of all ages.
Dentist workforce Australia 2012
- In 2012, there were 14,687 registered dentists, of whom 13,266 were employed in dentistry (96.1%).
- Over one third of registered dentists were women in 2012.
- In 2012, the average age of employed dentists was 43.4 and 23.4% were aged 55 or over.
- On average, employed dentists worked 37.0 hours per week in 2012.
- In 2012, a total of 1,330 dentists worked as specialists. Orthodontics was the most common specialty.
- A total of 766 Australians started studying to be a dentist and 556 completed qualifications as dentists in 2011.