Psychologists investigate, assess and provide treatment and counselling to foster optimal personal, social, educational and occupational adjustment and development. Tasks performed by psychologists include:
-collecting data about clients and assessing their cognitive, behavioural and emotional disorders
-conducting research studies of motivation in learning, group performance and individual differences in mental abilities and educational performance
-administering and interpreting diagnostic tests and formulating plans for treatment.
- Related Organisations
- Australian Psychological Society (APS)
Psychology workforce - Australia
- In 2012, there were 29,387 registered psychologists in Australia, 8,777 of whom were employed in counselling.
- Almost 8 in 10 registered psychologists were women.
- In 2012, the average age of employed psychologists was 45.6; 26.9% were aged 55 or over.
- On average, employed psychologists worked 32.6 hours a week.