Dr Lean Cheah (General Surgeon)
Mr LP Cheah is a highly experienced General Surgeon consulting at the Goonawarra Medical Centre and performing minor surgical procedures under sedation such as excision of skin cancers, lipomas, cysts, ingrown toenail, haemorrhoidectomy, carpel tunnel release and others at Goonawarra Day Hospital. In his early career as a consultant, Mr Cheah was one of the busiest surgeon working in public hospitals in Victoria by case numbers. He performed numerous short stay surgery (hernia repair, laparoscopic cholecystectomy, minor plastic surgery, hand surgery, vasectomy, etc.) and endoscopy (gastroscopy & colonoscopy).
Mr Cheah graduated from University of Melbourne: Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (First Class Honours) in 1997. He then further his training in England at the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, obtaining qualifications with the Royal College of Surgeons of England: Diploma of Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) of England. In 2005, he was awarded Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. This distinction is only awarded to specialist surgeons who have successfully completed several years of rigorous surgical training, with at least 5 years of specialist postgraduate training. He is also accredited in Upper GI Endoscopy (Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy) by the Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA) and is a Conjoint Committee for the Recognition of Training in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. He was a top medical student and has won several prizes for his clinical presentations throughout his career.
- Consultant General Surgeon at the Public Hospital in Echuca and several Private Hospitals such as John Fawkner Private Hospital, Mitcham Private Hospital, Western Private Hospital and Brunswick Private Hospital
- Lecturer/Honorary Fellow in Surgery - University of Melbourne
- Fellow - Royal Australasian College of Surgeons(RACS)
- Member - Royal College of Surgeons(England)
- Member - Academy of Surgical Educators
- Foundation Member - Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand(BreastSurgANZ)
Clinical Work and other involvement: Mr Cheah performs elective surgeries, minor plastic surgeries, and emergency surgeries at these public and private hospitals. He will be starting his minor surgical procedures at Goonawarra Day Hospital from the 9 February 2017 and on a regular monthly basis thereafter.
He is also involved in the Medical Clinical Governance Committee and sits on the Clinical Review Panel at the Ballarat Base Hospital. He lectures at the University of Melbourne and is involved with the Mentoring Program, Intern Education, Registrar & Resident Teaching Overseas-trained Doctors/
He has continued to present, write and publish research papers in journals and conference proceedings.
- Hospital Affiliations
- John Fawkner Private Hospital
- Mitcham Private Hospital
- Monash Medical Centre - Clayton
- St Vincent's Private Fitzroy
- The Northern Hospital - Epping
- Western Private Hospital
- Brunswick Private Hospital
- Goonawarra Day Hospital
- Affiliated Clinics
- Latrobe University Medical Centre
- Western Gastroenterology
- Melbourne Surgery
- Goonawarra Medical Centre
- John Fawkner Consulting Suites
- Western Skin Instsitute
- Affiliated Organisations
- Society of Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand (BreastSurgANZ)
- Breast Surgery